OLD LOVE


I woke super early in the morning and grabbed a cup of coffee before heading to the gym. I kept thinking about the verse in Gal 2:18 (NKJV) that states, “For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.” In other words, the things I have been freed from or the bondage, legalism, religiosity, obesity or other junk that may have been an "Old Love" in my life before I began my transformation, and change to become the best ME I could be as a Christ Follower.

My Experience

I know for myself I have been freed from things that plagued my life for 37 years, things that had kept me in bondage. From time-to-time, that old love wants to rise up in me and wants to be in control. But when I surrendered to Christ in 2012, after losing my spouse, family, friends, ministry, and health, He broke the bondage off of me so that I would never have to go back to it again. Understand that my soul and spirit knows I am free, but this old love (my body) thinks it has power over me. The body still remembers what it was like to be in sync with this garbage.

This passage in Galatians is referring to how the Gentile believers were now - “FREE” in their relationship with Christ by faith, and not bound to the Jewish laws or practices. Nothing could separate them from Christ. The book of Galatians is great to study concerning this Judaizing controversy, where Jewish believers were trying to make Gentile believers Jews first, then Christ followers. Listen, when you have met Jesus and He has set you free, there is no reason to return to the old, the former, the bondage of the past. Doing so is like making Jesus’ sacrifice for humanity not good enough. Yet, it’s more than good enough!!!

There is a song called “Old Love” that hit me like a brick last night into this morning, over this issue of an old love that won’t leave you alone. Never say God cannot speak through a secular person, a movie, or song because this is not true. If God can speak through a donkey to get a prophet’s attention in the Old Testament (Numbers 22:21-39) then I am sure He can speak through a blues song. Look at a sample of these song lyrics:



“…There's too much confusion

Going around through my head

And it makes me so angry

To know that the flame still burns

Why can't I get over?

Lord when will I ever learn?

Old love, leave me alone

Old love, go on home

I can see your face

But I know that it's not real

It's just an illusion

Caused by how I used to feel…”

My Thot: is the things that God has set you free from have no power over you! Your body remembers what it was like to be in that bondage to drinking, drugs, sexual promiscuity, lying, cheating, stealing, overeating and I am sure a host of other things that could be listed. The point is the “Old Love” is dead and the “New Love” found in Christ Jesus is all you need in this life. Check out this video for your enjoyment of "Old Love.” Comment below and don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to receive blog update in your inbox.


Until next time grab a FREE Refill of the King's Brew @ the Soul Café
.

Comments