3 PARTS TO EVERY JOURNEY



Back in August 2012, I attended the Global Leadership Summit (GLS) via a host satellite campus. As Bill Hybels spoke, he asked the question, “What is the most important part of any journey? Is it the beginning, middle, or end?” My silent reply was, “I guess it depends on what part of the journey you’re on.” The speaker’s point was that it was not the beginning nor is it the end, but the middle. I sat there with a puzzled look on my face as I heard him explain the parts of a journey. After hearing this, I thought about how these parts could relate to my journey to life and health.

BEGINNING OF THE JOURNEY

In the beginning of my health journey I was so fired up with zeal, passion, and a drive to succeed. Everything I would see or do was super exciting. I was reading, listening, and processing a lot of information that filled me with optimism, happiness, and joy because I was not just talking about getting healthy, I was doing it. I was determined to accomplish all my goals, make the change and become the Man that God had destined me to be. I could hardly wait to start seeing all the results, and every small victory was worth sharing.

END OF THE JOURNEY

I would love to tell you I am finished with my journey, but I am 2/3 of the way there. I can tell you that as I see the finish line approaching I have gotten a fresh wind, a fresh fire, a renewed vigor, passion, and drive. I have come too far to ever go back to that old way of life. That old “Fatman” is dead and he will never be resurrected in me because He is gone. The New MATTMAN is here.

MIDDLE OF THE JOURNEY

The middle part of my journey was and is the most critical and hardest part. Why? Because the middle part of the journey is where many people want to give up and do give up. I know I have had those thoughts before because I did not have the same zeal, drive, passion, and determination I started with. I saw setbacks, plateaus, lack of motivation, and above all I was starting to lose my heart’s drive to succeed. Bill Hybels’ words came back to me, as he stated something to the effect that people tend to lose heart half way through because they don’t see the results or the end seems too far to get to.

My Thot: it’s in those moments of stinking thinking and wanting to give up that you have to push through. You & I have to fight, fight, fight. You may not see the results right now, but the victory of the journey is in the process. This is where having a coach or a support team of friends or church folks is so critical. Pray. Ask friends and family for support. Don't lose heart, the right accountability partner or word of encouragement is out there for you. 
Comment below and SUBSCRIBE to receive blog updates in your inbox.


Until next time grab a FREE Refill of the King's Brew @ the Soul Cafe.





Comments