“NSV” NON-SCALE VICTORIES





There is nothing like a non-scale victory – so incredible and so awesome. When I started my journey at 625 pounds there were things I could not do that I can do now – things having nothing to do with a number on a scale, and everything to do with LIVING!

LEARNING TO STAND

The simple task of sitting in the middle of the floor is a non-scale victory. Before starting this journey I could not even get up without having a piece of furniture nearby to pull up on. As the weight dropped off, I was able to stop relying on pieces of furniture to help me out. I started out like a young child who was learning to crawl, stand, and then to walk. I slowly improved my strength. After awhile I was able to get up on my knees and then stagger to my feet. Now I am able to get up on one leg and push right up. What a great feeling of freedom I have each time I can get up from the floor now.

MY CAR


I had major issues driving my car just because of my size. I kept the steering wheel tilted all the way up and pushed the upright part of my seat way back. I even had to use Armor-All on the underside of the steering wheel to make turning it easier, because it rubbed so bad on my stomach that it would cause bruising. I hate to admit it but I even had to go commando in sweatpants because I could not fit in my jeans to drive – I literally did not fit into my car. I could not even use the seat belt because it would not buckle. Driving, for me, was a mess. I remember after I lost about 40-50 pounds how great it was to actually drive and not have to suck in my stomach when I would turn the steering wheel. Now, I have so much room behind the wheel that I actually can put the tilt wheel down to the last notch, but I cannot leave it there because it obstructs my view of the gauges and the picture of my wife on the dash.

GETTING OUT OF BED

Getting out of bed should be easy, right? Well, for me it wasn’t. To get out of bed I would have to roll out onto the floor in the prayer position, and then to stand up I would have to bounce press myself off my chest just to get enough momentum to spring up onto my feet. Every part of my body hurt and cracked. I cried a lot and asked God when this pain would stop and when I would be able to get out of bed normally like everyone else. It took a few months, but I was able to get out of bed without going through this ritual. The pain, the cracking, and the aches eventually stopped. Now, there are no more issues.

My Thot: there are many more NSV’s that I could share with you but, most importantly, please remember this - there is nothing like the freedom and excitement that comes from being able to do things that you could not do before or haven’t done for a long time. Every day, week, and month I am still amazed and continue to experience non-scale victories. None of this would have been possible if I did not first surrender my life fully to God and ask Him to help me change. My progress took place as I continued surrendering TO God and had the willingness to do the hard work FOR God to make those changes in my life. Comment and don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to receive blog updates in your inbox.

Until later grab a FREE Refill of the King's Brew @ the Soul Cafe.



Comments