EXCUSES MADE ME LOOK WEAK



I hear people all the time saying how they wish, they wish, they wish, whether it’s about losing weight, building muscle, or just living an active lifestyle.

One thing is for certain across the board, people want to be better, healthier, live longer, and have good quality of life. The problem I see and hear the most often is “I don’t have, I don’t have, I don’t have.” Just fill in the blank, “I don’t have _____________________________!” Listen, we all have the same 24 hours in a day and the same 7 days a week. These phrases and cliches are excuses. I know, I use to make them myself, for years, until I lost everything that was near and dear to my heart.

A friend once said to me, “Excuses make you look weak,” and he was right. I had made excuses about almost anything and everything in my life that I did not want to change. I needed to change. I knew inside that I was on a destructive path of bad eating, but I just shrugged it off and kept on living my life, my way. Over multiple years of compounding bad choices, I added so much extra weight that I had become “super morbidly obese.” Everyone around me, friends and family, could see that I was killing myself. Yet, when anyone came to confront me and talk to me about my weight, I just put up a wall of defiance and stubbornness. Secretly I was hurting. I was crying inside for someone to save me from this life and this person I had become.

After losing everything in my life: wife, family, friends, job, ministry, and my health: I hit rock bottom. It was in this time of great loss, brokenness, depression, and thoughts of how my life was over that all my excuses or “wishing” went out the window. I turned to the one place that would never turn me away - Heaven! I remember sitting in the quiet living room of my apartment and crying out with my arms stretched upward, shouting, “God, I need you! I cannot do anything on my own. Forgive me for not being the man of God, the husband, the spiritual leader, the provider for my family, the lover, and the friend I should have been. I surrender EVERYTHING to you. Please forgive me and help me to rebuild and reclaim my life. I want to live and I don’t want things my way anymore, but YOUR WAY. In Jesus’ name AMEN.”

From that night on, as I surrendered everything everyday to Him, He took this broken-mangled-mess of a man and began to rebuild my life. Has it been easy? NO. Has it been worth it? YES. I would not trade anything, nor could you pay me enough money, to go back to that old way of life. I have a new found freedom and liberty. I have a new life, a real life, a TRUE LIFE that only God can give. I am continuing daily to become a “Trophy Of His Amazing Grace.”

My Thot: I want to hear your story. Let me know in the comments below how you too are becoming a trophy of God’s amazing grace.

Until next time grab a FREE Refill of the King's Brew @ the Soul Cafe.



Comments