TUNA CAKES



Steamed Blue Crabs from Maryland are well known all over the East Coast. Since moving to Oklahoma from Maryland, I miss having crab cakes. I have tried other states’ versions of Maryland style crab cakes and they always end up with little-to-no crab meat in them, and a lot of breading for filler. I knew it was going to be difficult to get real, fresh crab meat to make crab cakes from. My substitute was to use canned tuna, seasonings, and a little carb as filler. Then fry them up for a quick, easy meal with all the memories and feelings of eating true “Maryland Crab Cakes.”


I ground up my rice cakes and placed them in the mixing bowl. Then I added the whole egg, can of tuna, Parmesan cheese, plus the spices and mustard. I combined it all and then made two patties of the mixture. In an oiled and heated frying pan, I laid each tuna cake in gently as I fried them crisp and brown. This has been a great recipe for my taste buds and a wonderful throwback to living in Maryland.

My Thot: if you're looking for a great way to eat tuna, or you are looking for an alternative to the cost of fresh crab, then try this version and comment below to tell me how you liked them. Don’t forget to subscribe to receive blog updates in your inbox.

Until next time grab a FREE Refill of the King's Brew @ the Soul Cafe.

Recipe Ingredients and Instructions:
1 Can of Tuna
1 Egg
2 Rice cakes (or bread/cracker crumbs)
2 Tbsp Grated Parmesan Cheese
½ Tbsp Yellow Mustard
½ Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
½ tsp Black pepper

Grind up rice cakes (or use bread crumbs). 

Add remaining ingredients to bowl or mixer.
Mix or combine thoroughly.
Pour ⅓ of mixture into a heated frying pan.
Wait until bubbles form or bottom is golden brown.
Flip and continue to cook until golden brown on the bottom.
Remove from pan and repeat the process until mixture is used.

Top however you like.

Comments