PUT THE FOOD DOWN


When I started my weight loss journey, I ate 2,800 calories of food per day. The types of food didn't matter to me, as long as I was getting my 2,800 calories. I would eat whatever I wanted and not give any thought to how it would affect my body. Then I read the Bible and came across Daniel 1:8



“...Daniel was determined not to defile himself by eating the food 
and wine given to them by the king…”

He did not want to eat any of the King's delicacies because they were offered to the false gods of Babylon. This Bible verse got me thinking. My weight kept dropping, but eventually it started hitting certain plateaus. Each time that happened, I adjusted my calorie level down by 200 and increased my exercise. By the time I had lost 200 pounds (in one year) I was already at the 2,000 calorie level. I stayed at that 2,000 calorie level for close to eight months after losing 200 pounds. I did not see any weight loss or weight gain for those months. After evaluating my nutrition as a whole, it became not about how many calories I was eating, but the quality of the calories



I began to look at the three macronutrients: proteins, carbs, and fats very very closely. In essence, I tightened up my calories that I was eating. I, like Daniel, did not want to get off track or "defile" myself by eating the wrong foods. However, along with tightening up my calories, I began to weight train at the gym. I may not have seen the scale weight move, but I saw inches come off my body. Then, to make sure that I was truly done losing weight, I lowered my calories down to 1,500 per day. My weight training increased to 5-6 days a week, and I would swim for cardio at least 2-3 days a week. Again, I did not notice much loss on the scale, but I noticed inches coming off of my body.




I would love to tell you that I have perfect nutrition. I would love to tell that I don't struggle at times. I can tell you my nutrition is better now than it was six years ago. I can tell you thinking ahead, making a weekly menu, and preparing meals in advance has kept me from many eating disasters. I have gotten use to the stares and the weird looks when I say no thank you at church functions or caricature gigs where there is catered food being supplied. I break out my container with prepped food and eat. I have gotten to the point where I will never leave my nutrition to chance. So what if people stare or ask silly questions? Let them! I have determined to not defile myself by foods offered to me, if it is not going to help me reach my goals.

My Thot: is a challenge to you to think about your nutrition. Make a menu this week, prep your meals in advance, and see the wonderful benefits of having your nutrition completely in your hands. Leave me a comment below and tell me how your week of nutrition planning and prep has been.

Until next time grab a Free Refill of the Kings Brew at the Soul Cafe


Comments