Monday, April 2, 2012

STONES IN MY PASSWAY















Last evening I heard a song by the late blues player Robert Johnson. Eric Clapton redid a great version of this song called “Stones In My Passway.” I am not sure what Robert intended the song to mean but as a Christ follower I am thinking of the words of Paul in 1 Corinthians 8:9-12 it reads…

“But fortunately God doesn't grade us on our diet. We're neither commended when we clean our plate nor reprimanded when we just can't stomach it. But God does care when you use your freedom carelessly in a way that leads a fellow believer still vulnerable to those old associations to be thrown off track. 10For instance, say you flaunt your freedom by going to a banquet thrown in honor of idols, where the main course is meat sacrificed to idols. Isn't there great danger if someone still struggling over this issue, someone who looks up to you as knowledgeable and mature, sees you go into that banquet? The danger is that he will become terribly confused—maybe even to the point of getting mixed up himself in what his conscience tells him is wrong. 11-13Christ gave up his life for that person. Wouldn't you at least be willing to give up going to dinner for him—because, as you say, it doesn't really make any difference? But it does make a difference if you hurt your friend terribly, risking his eternal ruin! When you hurt your friend, you hurt Christ. A free meal here and there isn't worth it at the cost of even one of these "weak ones." So, never go to these idol-tainted meals if there's any chance it will trip up one of your brothers or sisters.”

Don’t be a “Stumbling Block”, or let the “Stones in your Passway” hinder others. Obvious we don’t live in a time where our meat is offered to strange idols as it was in ancient times, but we can look at the implications of this passage and bring it up to date and look at it from our cultures perspective of drinking, smoking, getting tattoos, or even the music or movies watched. Now, understand I am not a legalistic Christ follower at all because I am FREE in HIM. Yet there are things I choose personally to stay away from because it’s my choice. I choose personally to give up something’s in order to set an example to others of what Christ has delivered me from. Listen I am not against people taking a drink of wine with their pasta or a cold beer with their steamed crabs but for me I would rather have a bottle of water or sweet ice tea. Same thing with tattoos, if you want one go ahead but just because I am an Artist doesn’t mean I want one. Besides, I dislike the idea of little vibrating needles penetrating my flesh. The issue of smoking, it does not send you to Hell, but it will make you smell like you have been there. Again, I choose personally not to do these things because of where I came from and what God has delivered me from.

My Thot for today is ask the Holy Spirit to show you things that may hinder another Christ follower from the things of the faith, or even someone who is exploring the claims of Christ for the first time. It would be terriable if we hindered someone from coming to the new found freedom only found in Christ all because you wanted it your own way. I got news for you, this life is not like Burger King, you can’t have it your way, Its God’s Way! Enjoy this YouTube clip of Eric Clapton performing “Stones In My Passway.

Until next time grab a FREE Refill of the Kings Brew @ the Soul Café.

2 comments:

covnitkepr1 said...

Good post. My invitation from yesterday still stands.

Matt Hylton said...

Thank you, I am now following you.